Tuesday 15 March 2011

Poetry.

I will have been here exactly a month tonight and I think I can safely say that I am completely settled in now. Well, I still get lost on campus, but it has its own postcode so it’s pretty huge. I think that’s allowed.
One thing I am surprised with is how much I am enjoying the creative writing class that I was dreading. It’s one of my favourites now. I don’t know if it’s because the tutor is really excited about anything you produce and really encouraging, because it’s a good group of classmates. I don’t know. I am still dreading workshopping however. I realise its constructive criticism and all but it still feels a bit mean analysing someone’s first draft in such a critical way.
One thing I have been musing on is whether or not I want to put the poems I am working on on here as a way of slowly getting myself into workshopping. However, the thought of releasing those few things I have written onto the World Wide Web is not really appealing. Also I don’t want this blog to turn into some kind of precocious poetry collection, or to become yet another “poet” releasing their stuff on the internet in the hope that they might get a fan base. It’s a bit too personal for that. So on one hand I have the thought that it might do me good and if I get criticism it’s not like I know the person if they’ve commented on here and criticism, bad or good, is always interesting to hear. On the other hand however, it’s a big step and seeing as I have trouble reading my pieces to the class I don’t know if I’m up to putting them on here. I would be grateful for any thoughts?
Maybe I should just put them on here after they’ve been marked and I’ve obviously got full marks and multiple commendations!

No comments:

Post a Comment