Saturday 19 February 2011

First Impressions.

I had my induction on Friday, typical scenario of  a general talk followed by a subject specific talk, a cringe worthy "meet your neighbor" request and a free packed lunch. Now, this being my third such talk they do get a bit boring, especially when you know that the next week is still orientation so you are just going to go through all the same things again then. In order to prevent this talk from getting too exciting I pulled out my copy of Sherlock Holmes and waited for it to end so that I could do a little exploring myself.
This was the best part of the day; after all the talks being able to actually look around the campus. Simply put: it's stunning. The old part is like Oxford University, with courtyards, vaulted ceilings and generally beautiful architecture. Very Hogwart's! Then melded into this is a range of modern buildings, with glass and metal frameworks, expressionist art and amazingly futuristic environmentalism. Sounds horrible doesn't it? But it's not, there are so many greens, courtyards, reading corners and hidden coffee shops which work to bring it all together. It is the most well thought out, beautiful and practical campus I have ever seen. Hard to believe that it's a city university and only a 10 minute tram ride from the center of Melbourne.

The photo really do not do it justice. I will get some better ones soon so you can really see how it looks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment